“Anticancer- a new way of life” by David Servan-Schreiber is the inclusive guide on how to prevent, eradicate and control cancer. The book is incredibly informative and fascinating. Schreiber focuses solely on cancer itself, however, I interpret the book to be a guide to a healthier life and a healthier population – one with a much lower mortality rate due to chronic disease.
Many if not all, chronic disease is caused by unhealthy lifestyle choices. Chronic disease such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure accounts for 75% of all deaths. This figure is STAGGERING. Mortality is majorly caused by a sedentary life and malnourished diet.
- 75% of people are dying from diseases that are not only preventable but unnecessary.
75% OF PEOPLE ARE DYING OF UNNECESSARY CAUSES.
Why is this happening?
- We are eating too much salt and saturated fat in comparison to unsaturated fatty acids such as omega 3 – from oily fish.
- We are eating too much meat, leaving little room for whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
- WE ARE NOT EATING NEARLY ENOUGH FIBRE OR FRUIT AND VEGETABLES.
Why are these three things causing a problem in our health?
- Omega 3 and omega 6 are essential unsaturated fatty acids that are required for brain and immune function. A lack of omega 3 can increase your risk of developing chronic disease.
- Filling the diet with too much meat leaves little room for other, more essential nutrients from whole grains, fruit and vegetables. These compounds are needed in much greater amounts, whereas meat is needed in small quantities. This leads to an imbalance of nutrients and can lead to chronic disease.
- Fibre, from whole grains are essential for gut health and nourishing the body. Fruit and vegetables are needed in large quantities and varieties. Fruit and vegetables prevent oxidative stress.
An unhealthy diet, sedentary lifestyle, exposure to pollutants, pesticides, fertilisers, radiation and excess UV light cause FREE RADICALS in the body.
Free radicals are unstable compounds that cause uncontrollable reactions within the body that ultimately damages DNA. Damage to DNA cause all kinds of chronic disease and can lead to issues all over the body – this process is referred to as oxidative stress.
How do we stop free radicals?
So, antioxidants and phytochemicals are compounds in which get involved in these uncontrollable reactions by donating an election that neutralises the free radical and destroys it.
Antioxidants and phytochemicals are ONLY found in fruit and vegetables. A variety of fruit and vegetables ENSURE that the body can fight against chronic disease.
Without these compounds that fight the free radicals YOUR BODY HAS NO MECHANISM AGAINST THESE INVADERS. Without eating fruit and vegetables you are rendering your body’s natural processes to fight disease as USELESS.
I cannot stress enough the importance of eating enough fruit and vegetables. The recommendation: 5 x 80 grams portions of fruit and vegetables daily.
Sources of antioxidants/ phytochemicals.
- Red grapes
- Red and orange fruits and vegetables
- ANY FRUIT OR VEGETABLE
- GREEN TEA is an INCREDIBLE source of antioxidants
- Turmeric – turmeric cannot be absorbed without ginger or black pepper.
- Stone fruit such as peaches, plums
- All kinds of berries
- Mushrooms of all kinds
- Olive oil and other forms of unsaturated oils – especially “extra virgin”
There is a abundance of choice. EAT as many as possible.
- Snack on fruit and vegetables.
- Ensure you are eating them with every meal.
- Drink green tea in the morning instead of tea or coffee.
The most important nutrition and health advice I could give you is to JUST EAT THEM AND AS MANY AS YOU CAN.
Look after your mind and body by taking care of the inside first. Your body will be grateful and will show it!
Thank you for reading. Follow for more 🙂